Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Greatest Love Story Ever Sold

They call it falling in love
because when you fall
you get hurt.

Love is a myth
created and perpetuated
by the greeting card companies
to sell more flowers
& cards
& chocolate
& saccharine poetry

Love is a four letter word
more profane
more insane
than anything ever uttered
by crazies
or hatemongers
or politicians

Love is a drug
the romantic merely an addict
looking for another fix

The quest is better than the catch
how can you put into words
or actions
the intoxicated euphoria
that exists only
in the inebriated hallucination
of what we were
brainwashed to believe is true?

When that "special someone"
is no longer an illusion
no longer an unattainable ideal
you must ask
is that all there is?

And when its over
when the facade cracks
don't be surprised
don't cry about a broken heart
Boo fuckin hoo
here's a quarter
call someone who cares

You don't have a monopoly on sadness.
Get over it!
Look on the bright side!
Stiff upper lip and all that!

Ever notice that the saddest
most visceral love songs
are about heart ache?
Coincidence? I think not.

SNAP OUT OF IT!
WAKE UP!
and smell the El Pico.

it is a shame
love is a sham

Take up golf or something
your time and energy
is best spent doing something
you know you can get good at
or at least have a chance at...

Comments:
I wonder if your wife is reading this blog. ;-)
 
I was just wondering the same thing as Jason. Sadly, though, much of what you said is true. I'm only 25 and I know that. Of course I'm a glutton and a masochist so I'll keep searching.
 
Love is a four letter word
more profane
more insane
than anything ever uttered
by crazies
or hatemongers
or politicians

I LOVE THIS stanza; I am officially caught up. You are a great writer, and I am sorry that life is getting in the way of happiness. You rule! Greengirl
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?