Thursday, May 12, 2005

My First Internet Relationship part 1

The cool midnight breeze gently caressing your skin on a hot early summer night, as you walk along holding onto your lover. Not having any particular place to go, and not having anything to in the morning is a wonderful feeling. Lean in, smell the scent of her skin, she gets a chill and turns to you both kiss full on the lips, a long, deep, lingering kiss that goes on forever but ends too quickly...like the relationship.

The night Tammy and I met was interesting insofar as it was a blind internet date. We had met on the internet and had been chatting for about two months when and had several phone conversations. This was back in 1995 so this sort of thing was still relatively new in the world of dating. Some people told me I was crazy for doing this and in retrospect I think it was something that I would have done again. One thing that neither of us had at that time was a GIF or an online picture to send one another, so in the truest sense of the term, it was truly going to be a blind date.

Now blind dates aren't anything new, but what was interesting here was that the night she and I were to meet it was at Brooklyn College after my play was done. I was in the playwrighting program for my MFA working under the now late OBI award winning playwright Jack Gelber and some of the students were having their plays performed. Now I know that sounds cool, but it was at the small basement theatre and we couldn't use the stage and I had to act in it at last minute. I had to act in it, do the lighting and announce the play. Add this to the fact that my blind date was sitting in the audience and well whatever you think you may have felt, just double that and you would have the overwhelming feeling of trepidation I had experienced that night.

All of these things I had to contend with, and all was still fine. I figured that it would be all right. We weren't going to meet until after the show. Now what is my motto people? If it didn't suck....well along comes Mark who calls to me so I can meet his brother. Now not only does he call me by my first name, he shouts out my whole name. "Hey Douglas Vance Castagna!" And repeats it. So I go over to meet his brother and curse the bastard out. (I explained the situation so he too could feel as uneasy as I now did)

I look up in the audience and see three women looking at me, so I go over there, because now they know who I am, and I dont know which one of them was my blind date, so I figure before they bolt, let me go introduce myself.

As I got closer I noticed there were three degrees of attractiveness. I thought the one I was to meet was going to be the third degree, the plainest of them all, (sorry I am only human, flesh and blood...a man) but was pleasently surprised when it was the second one. We all stepped out into the lobby and introduced ourselves. It would appear that they were going to stay for the show and I suggested we go to a diner afterward. They agreed. Damn I hope we are going dutch I thought as we filed back into the theatre.

(to be continuted)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?