Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My First Internet Relationship part 2

The play went well. Actually I am lying. It was horrible. I had to do the lighting as well because one of my actor's girlfriends was braindead from the neck up. The lighting grid we had was what you would call no budget. It was merely a dimmer. All you had to do to go dark was push the levers to the bottom, and to have light push them to the top. So John said his girl could handle that. When I told her what to do, she got extremely confused. And said that I was confusing her. All I told her was that I would walk out in darkness. When I got there, she was to turn on the lights. When I said the following words. I now give you "The Partyline" she was to turn them out. Count to ten. (so I could get on stage) and then turn them on again. Needless to say I had to do it myself. In light. And now I had seen my blind date, and she me, and well, I was just nervous now.

After the performance, which went stunningly bad, we met in the lobby and decided to go to Del Rio, which was near where I lived. I did not drive so I piled into the car with the three ladies. On the way they made small talk about my play and how it was funny, and romantic, and that I wasn't bad so I shouldn't worry about it.

When we got to the diner we sat at a table and ordered. They brought out the obligatory
cole-slaw and pickle centerpiece, it was rather Fung Shuei (not sure of the spelling, nor do I really care actually) looking as I remember it now, and we continued to talk. At one point Robin had reached for a pickle and bit down and let out a shrill yelp. It seems that she broke off part of her tooth as she bit down on the pickle. A funny remark was made and she said, that her faux pas would make an interesting anecdote. I didn't think so but I included it here.

After she recovered from her dental drama she mentioned that she thought Mark was cute. I had all but stricken him from my memory for making me feel awkward a few hours ago, but thought hey, what the hell, he wasn't dating anyone. So I agreed to set them up.

After more small talk, and trying to be entertaining to all three ladies, it was time to go. They drove me to my house and I made some comment about having to walk my dog Sheena. That's when I found out that Tammy loved animals. She had several dogs, Nico was my favorite, Nico was the offspring of a famous dog who had been in the movie Homeward Bound. You must forgive my tangential meanderings while I tell this story. I have always had a bad habit of telling a story and feeling the need to tell some smaller details but they are usually things I do deep important. Like her working at an Art store, having a rapper as a tenant and loving dogs.

So she wanted to see Sheena so I brought her out to meet Tammy. She knelt down to play with Sheena and well, I always believed that you cant trust a person that hates dogs, and well I felt infinitely more comfortable now that I knew she was a dog person.

Before we parted I made some comment that I really felt easy talking to her and that I was usually shy around new people. She said she was too, and at that point Robin yelled, from the car, "What are you talking about Tammy, your a bitch!" She and Ellen then laughed as did Tammy. She gave me her number and a more than perfunctory kiss goodnight.

Sheena and I watched the car drive away, and as the tail lights faded, my hope of a new relationship brightened.

(to be continued)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?