Sunday, June 05, 2005

Movie Review

As you can see it has been a productive blogging week. Tomorrow I go back to writing memoirs, and rewriting the rest of the ratboy reports, so be patient they are coming.

This weekend I saw Phantom Of The Opera on DVD it was an excellent production, and I enjoyed it better than the play. I had seen the play with an extremely forgettable cast, and I had mentioned to my friend that one of the main songs, "Music of the Night" was almost indistinguishable from the rest of the music. Not so in the movie version. Dialogue was crisp, costumes were bright, and the transfer of the disc was sharp and pristine. The acting was superb and the music and lyrics were given their proper place. All in all it was a great piece and Joel Schumacher, thankfully gave us a Phantom without rubber nipples. (an allusion to his garish Batman foray)

I also saw Cinderella Man. It was a very good period piece about the Depression Era boxer James Braddock. Crowe is Oscar worthy as the never punchy pugalist who makes a great comeback earning him the nickname that is the movie's title. Good performances are also turned in by Giamatti who plays his manager and Renee Zellweger as his loving wife, who is always in his corner. Craig Bierko also turned in a decent performance as the reigning champion, Max Baer.

The fight scenes were realistic, (with the exception of a CSI shot, if you see the film you will know what I mean) and showy camera movements are minimal. Also the portrayal of the Depression and how it ravaged individuals, families and the city as a whole. The day before I saw the film I heard a guy, in the library, tell the librarian he had seen Cinderella Man. I was about to walk away because I didn't want to hear anything about it, but I was too late. The guy said that it took place around the Depression, (and now I am quoting) I didn't really know anything about the Depression, so I really couldn't relate. I guess he could relate to Episode III because he was a padawan and the force was strong with him? Oh well. I digress.

Hope your weekend was aiiight
Peace
C

Comments:
Maurice is taking C's
recommendation of Cinderella Man and will see it this week. Being a boxing fan, the story of James J. Braddock is well known, but not to the modern public. I'm wondering if the dork in the library has any idea what century the Depression happened in.

One disagreement I've heard from boxing afficionado's is that Bierko's portrayal of Max Baer is unflattering and far from the truth. He was not a callous killer, and only one boxer died as a result of injuries in his match. He even visited the man in the hospital and helped the wife through the ordeal. The second fatality actually occured after a subsequent match vs. Primo Carnera. But I guess the historian in me is starting to take over. He was also far from a bully and a menacing thug as the film purports to portray.
Anyway, despite the treatment of Baer, I'll follow C's advice.
 
I saw the previews...looked pretty...Crowe does a decent Brooklyn accent for a man down under...I hope he can beat another boxer better than he can beat a cell phone...Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?