Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Movie Review

POTENTIAL SPOILERS ALERT


An Action Romantic Comedy. That is it in a nutshell. The first thing I noticed about the movie was that it was bookended in a couples therapy session. This is widely reminiscent of romantic comedies, and indeed that is what we had here. The window dressing was nice, both stars are attractive and make a good couple. This worked for the film because they did look good together and had a chemistry, even when they were kicking each others asses.

Doug Liman, Director of the Bourne movies, as well as GO, and Swingers, seemed to blend those styles for this go around. During production he was fired only to be rehired again. The steamy sex scene rumored to have been filmed was cut for the PG 13 rating, and various other actors were considered for the roles, such as Nicole Kidman, and Johnny Depp. Hmmm do you think that would have been a different movie?

Vince Vaughn's character was funny, but under used in the film, you wanted to get a sense of closure with his character that never actually came.

The action sequences were decent. There was nothing earth shattering effects wise but it was definitely first class. And did I mention Angelina looked hot? If you like either of the actors, see the movie. If you like light romantic comedies that you can predict the outcome of, see the movie, if you are a fan of Doug Liman, see the movie. If you want to see a blockbuster, or something groundbreaking--don't bother. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't blown away either.

I also heard that Angela Basset had a decent sized role in the film, those shots were cut as well. I would be interested to see a directors cut of this picture, and hear why the director chose to do certain things. I cannot wholeheartedly recommend the movie, but if you like any of the things I mentioned, than this will be to your liking.

Until next time,
peace
C

Look for someone wearing a Fight Club T-shirt. I thought that was a nice touch

Comments:
yeah i loved the fight club t-shirt thing..... i pointed it out right away. moviewise, i'd say decent, but i wasn't too blown away either.
 
Maurice thought it was pretty good - light entertainment though the violence at the end was a little too much. And I thought there was too much Vince Vaughn. I think Bassett was probably one of the higher-ups in the agency. Couldn't keep my eyes off of Jolie - and those lips !
 
Maurice thought it was pretty good - light entertainment though the violence at the end was a little too much. And I thought there was too much Vince Vaughn. I think Bassett was probably one of the higher-ups in the agency. Couldn't keep my eyes off of Jolie - and those lips !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?