Wednesday, June 29, 2005

You Can't Go Home Again

Not being one who left home, since I had to care for my mother, who had become homebound while I was still in High School, I often wondered about that expression. I knew it was true for other reasons. Experiences. An experience will always be the way it was. Like home is in your heart. It never changes in your memory, but in reality, it does. I was reminded of this when I went to my End Term Party, not for my current school, but for the one I had left last June.

There were about 60 people and at least 15 of those who had shown to celebrate surviving another year had returned from the places they had transferred to. I thought I would never return if I had left, while I was there I did attend the parties, but always felt that other schools had to be better, and while some are, the people you work with are never the same. I found this out the hard way and knew I wanted to go back to see some of the faces I had left behind.

The parties were usually good, fun, and memorable, though this time I was disappointed. I was coming back as an outsider, and while I was greeted warmly by all my former coworkers, something was different, the dynamic was changed. I had moved on, and while I wasn't happy where I had moved to, I had gone, and now, I could never return.

While I was welcomed back, as a child would returning home, whatever relationship that existed was gone; severed. If you got back everyone from your senior trip, even the chaperones, and agreed to take the same trip, and do the same things, it will never be the same. The experience, was a moment, a snapshot in time, that can never be revisited, altered, or duplicated. So enjoy home, whatever home is to you, while you can.

Peace
C

Comments:
Well said, and I'm impressed that you stayed with your mom to help her. What a challenge for one at that age. Well done.
 
hi there
 
Darn sad, if you ask greengirl!
 
Maurice thought your comments were extremely poignant, and one often doesn't appreciate things until they are gone. Very well said, though I hope the evening was at least worth your time
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?