Saturday, July 09, 2005

Hector The Mailman aka HTM

HTM, or Hector the Mailman was the new mailman on my old block in Brooklyn. He was about my age, early thirties, tall, and very thin. He had a thick mane of hair that he always mangaged to compress under a Yankee cap, or at times, a USPS cap. We would banter a little when he would come by, he actually had started talking with my mother because when she was alive, she would site by the window and open the door for him and talk to him. She had made him some bacon once, and I dont know if its considered a bribe or anything, but he took it.

On Saturdays or during the summer we would talk. He had long since had a laser disc player and asked about my usual shipments of DVD's (mostly from www.deepdiscountdvd.com I hope I get some free stuff now LOL). I showed him the picture quality and the sound quality and he went out that day and bought one. From then on we talked about movies, video games and other stuff. I guess you could say we became friends and we would hang out at the movies and stuff too sometimes. (annoying seindfeld addicts would tell me OH NEWMAN!!!)

He was always nice but a bit odd. He barely made it out of HS and lived with his folks, and would buy junk box cars, fix them up to look nice first, and then do the engine work. He went through about three cars since I knew him, and before I moved away.

An odd thing about him was I had invited him to my Bachelor Party and my Wedding. He said he didn't want to go to the Bachelor Party because he had never been to one before. I thought that was odd, but we (some other friends as well) were going to a strip club and that may not have been his scene. So I said all right. When I got a money order in the mail (mind you he was still on my route) and a card for my wedding, there was a note that said he didn't want to come to my wedding because he had never been to one before and did not know what they were like or what to do, so he didn't want to go.

I guess since he never had a dvd player he didn't want to...oh wait. Maybe it was just me. Oh well.

Peace
C

Comments:
One of the most indelible characters in the life of Cee, HTM was the hit of one of your house parties, while barely saying a word and even falling asleep in his chair. You two were a great couple when u lived in Brooklyn, and Maurice envied your movie outings together (why wasn't he ever invited?)
 
I am constantly amazed by the depths of neurosis in our society. What else was HTM afraid of?

By the way, check out my recently remodeled Philophical Question of the Day (PQD) Blog at http://pqd.negativespace.com. You may even see some posts by CistheBigDog.

Answer a Question. Subscribe to the Alert.

http://pqd.negativespace.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?