Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Come Sail Away

Damn, Mendez was 60. It was not so much a shock that he had turned 60 but that I was there in attendance. I knew him from when he was 47, and that white (silver if I wanted to be nice) hair made him look older. The trick is that he looks the same now some 13 years later. Though some of those gray/silver hairs have gone AWOL. (This fact was made clearly evident by his sporting of a Captains hat for the entire night. Even though the theme of the party was sailing and he was the captain I know his ulterior motive, because I would do the same thing too at my 60th if I make it there.

His family and friends and wife, and her family and friends were all in attendance. Some faces I hadn’t seen in a while and some familiar ones danced about to the DJ and drank voluminously from the open bar. I downed diet cokes while I waited for the food, and now I still taste the lemon chicken and wonder how it was made.

I wondered at one point why I wasn’t having as much fun as I should be and I guess it finally hit me. I was getting old. I am 36, which is not old by any stretch of the imagination, but I met Mendez and his wife 13 years prior to the event in question and I guess I would never have pictured myself at this event. I mean his 50th yeah, a no brainer, three years is nothing and it goes by in an infinitesimally brief moment. But 13 is a bit more substantial, but in this case it went by a lightening speed. And in a blink of an eye it was upon me, upon us all. And in no time, I will be the one in the Captain’s hat making a speech and enjoying the warmth of being in the company of so many friends. Happy Birthday Mendez…DAMN YOU IS OLD SON

C

Comments:
Maurice was having the same thoughts about how time just flies - but actually I was remembering when you were so young and gay (not literally) and what fun we had at your 30th (wasn't that the dinner theater mystery)?

Some things change and some things remain the same, but we remained together through thick and thin, and will be there for each other through thick and thin.

I just can't picture you in a sailor's cap !
 
I liked "Out in the Blue". The rhyme scheme, the content, the economy of words...I know the pain as well...

Congrats on 100th Blog!!!!

Donny
 
Wow!!! What can I say...pretty revealing...you don't hold back...C The Big Dog hung in Stong thru this gut wrenching ordeal...

Favorite line...of "An Idiot's Guide to Divorce:" "Complacency is the mother of all clusterfucks" ...Classic...
 
Wow!!! What can I say...pretty revealing...you don't hold back...C The Big Dog hung in Stong thru this gut wrenching ordeal...

Favorite line...of "An Idiot's Guide to Divorce:" "Complacency is the mother of all clusterfucks" ...Classic...

Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?