Thursday, May 11, 2006

What Happened To Us : Scene IV

SCENE IV

AT RISE: A waitress leads YOUNG MIKE to his seat. Mike sits
down and picks up the menu and looks through it.

(A few beats later we see the waitress leading Young Sierra to a
table. Mike looks up and is in shock. He rises.)

MIKE
Sierra, is that you?

(She looks at him and is in shock)

SIERRA
Michael?

(They stand there staring at each other. The waitress gives up and
walks away.)

MIKE
You look good.

SIERRA
You too.


MIKE
Would you mind joining me for lunch?

SIERRA
Not at all.

(He pulls her seat out for her. She sits down and then he sits).

MIKE
It's been ages.

SIERRA
Eight years this November.

MIKE
How've you been?

SIERRA
Great, never better. What about you?

MIKE
Fantastic. No complaint's here.

SIERRA
I'm glad to hear it.

MIKE
So, where have you been keeping yourself?

SIERRA
Out west mostly. I was living in Tucson for a while, then San
Diego. I just came back east last month. What about you?

MIKE
Same ole, same ole. You know me. I'm a creature of habit. I
still eat in this place every Friday. Though I did move out of
the apartment.

SIERRA
I know.

MIKE
Really?

SIERRA
Well I assumed you would move. You always said you wanted to.

MIKE
I did say that didn't I.

(The Waitress walks over to the table)

WAITRESS
Are you ready to order yet?

SIERRA
Can you give us a few more minutes?

WAITRESS
(angrily)
Anything you say.

(The Waitress storms away.)
(Mike and Sierra speak at the same time)

MIKE SIERRA
Sierra, what happened-- Michael what happened--

MIKE
Sorry, you first.

SIERRA
No, you go ahead.

MIKE
Okay. (Pause) Sierra what happened to us?

INTRO TO BABY CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO US?


(After the first Bridge they both stand.)

MIKE
I tried to call you, but you sister said you didn't want to
see me.

SIERRA
I thought you didn't want to bother with me anymore, that's
why I decided to move in with my friend Amy for a while.
You remember Amy don't you?

MIKE
Yes, How is she?

SIERRA
She got married five years ago.

MIKE
That's terrific. But why didn't you call me.

SIERRA
For the same reason it took you two months to call my sister.

MIKE
You knew I called?

SIERRA
Yes, and I was excited. So I called you, only to find that
you're number was changed, and unlisted.

MIKE
Oh, God. That's right. I forgot to give your sister my new
number.

SIERRA
I doubt that she would have given it to me anyway.

(He reaches across the table and holds her hand).

(The waitress walks toward the table).

WAITRESS
Come on how long is it going to take you two to order?

(She stops and looks at them).
(Mike and Sierra are staring at each other).

WAITRESS
I know what that look means. Give me a break!

INTRO TO LOVE IS A PAIN IN THE REAR

(After "Love is such a pain in the rear" the waitress exits)

SIERRA
I think we better order soon.

MIKE
Can I order for you? Like old times?

SIERRA
(She smiles)
Sure.

(Mike looks at the menu)

MIKE
How's the turkey divan sound?

SIERRA
Interesting.

MIKE
Well that's it then. If you see the waitress again flag her
down.

SIERRA
Sure thing.

MIKE
Sierra?

SIERRA
Yes?

MIKE
Can you remember what caused that fight?

SIERRA
No. Why, can you?

MIKE
I can't remember what that fight was about either.

SIERRA
It seemed pretty important at the time.

MIKE
It did, at the time.

(There is silence for a few beats)



MIKE
Sierra?

SIERRA
Yes?

MIKE
I have something to say.

(Mike stands up and takes her by the hand, she stands up and moves
close to him)

INTRO TO SIERRA, OH MICHAEL


MIKE AND SIERRA
I'm sorry.

(They embrace. LIGHT DIM)

Comments:
This is profound ! Maurice has always been impressed with your skillz !!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?