Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Coney Island Day aka how a tradition is born

When I think back the latest it could have started was in 2000. I remember that vaguely only because when we stopped back at my apartment after that first time , before it was the annual operatic event it has now become, we brought my mother back some food from Nathans Famous. My mother passed away Feb 17th 2001. So thinking back, our annual Coney Island Day began at least in 2000 so that would make the one that just occured yesterday, the 7th annual outing.

It started out small and not as a Coney Island Day. It was a regular hang with Maurice, Dandy Greengirl and yours truly. We ate at Lai Yuens, were we revisited for our most recent excursion, then went to a movie, I am assuming it was Bring It On, if not I will ammend that, I do know we saw that movie during that summer and it came out toward the end of the summer as what started the tradition.

After the movie, I had a choice before me, end the evening or extend it? I asked, all feedback I recieved was..I dont know, I dont care. So instead of making a right turn I turned left and wound up on stillwell avenue and thus a tradition was born.

Interesingly enough our core four looked forward to this event each year and we added on to the amount who would attend but the itinerary is usually strictly enforced, by me, in order to maximize out day, lunch, movie, nathans and coney including boardwalk and rides and games, followed by desserts and coffee at El Greco.

Not very inventive, nor very exciting, but it is fun and like I said it is looked forward to by all each year, perhaps I will toss out an option next year that we substitue the movie with some bowling. This year's choiced sucked. Pulse was the film, if you can call it that, we saw and it was vile. Not that it was scary but vile that we had to pay ten bucks for crap.

Traditions are nice, even if they start quite by accident.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?