Thursday, August 17, 2006

Of Diets, Working Out, And The Merry Go Round I Decided To Get Back On

I have had about three (four if you count the fact I had two sessions by a steroid head after I wanted to beat down my second pain in the ass-poor excuse-for a) personal trainers in my lifetime, one was Bruno from Gold's Gym. He was ok, though most of the time he seemed to phone it in. Never really challenged me, and didn't seem to give a shit either way. I had only a few sessions with him when I signed up and some sessions with the nutritionist. While that was more helpful, my ability to stay at it was even more important. I let my dues lapse and couldn't afford to keep going. I had lost some weight by then and gained some muscle mass.

While muscle NEVER turns to fat, it does atrophy, and that's what happened by the time I decided to work out again and get a bit healthy. This new trainer, don't remember his name, but he was a geeky bastard that would talk non stop and tell me about his massages he would get and how his wife was mad at him. He would want to stretch me out and hang, he annoyed me so much I stopped going until another trainer there took over. Adrian was a muscle head and no doubt, a steroid abuser. He was prone to fits of rage and tried to kill my other trainer by lobbing a fifty pound dumb bell at him. Both men were fired. I continued to work out for a short while and got lazy....What a shock.

Before my divorce, I was feeling week, and drained of energy. I was not at my highest weight but my diabetes (type 2) had gotten a bit worse, and I wanted to do something more proactive about it. I wished I did not let my gym membership lapse, and was upset that I had a Premiere Gold Bally's Membership that only required $99 for the year and I could use any Bally's at any time any where I wanted ever. Around that time I was considering being proactive I got a mysterious ad to renew...I did. And in came Adam.

Adam is my current trainer though my sessions are almost over, I signed up for 24 sessions, get about 4 free, and I have been going all summer. 3 times a week, though I need to do more cardio work, I am doing well. That is with working out and building muscle and feeling stronger. I lost about 20 pounds since I started July 3rd with the whole program. It happened rapidly, and now nothing. Same weight. So Adam, and thankfully, another trainer or two at the Bally's in Franklyn Mills have decided I should try Atkins.

We spoke about it, pros and cons and I shared concerns about the last time I was on it, and I agreed it was worth a try. A plus with the diet is that exercise should be regular, admittedly the last time I was on Atkins I was mostly sedentary. I like being sedentary but well it has been very detrimental to my health and well being.

While I am not thinner, I feel stronger and healthier, in a better mood, and feeling a bit better about myself. I guess this time I found the good combination the most important being my motivation. Hopefully that will be the one mainstay of my present situation. I will keep you updated.

Comments:
I was real happy for you when you stated at the dinner on Coney day that you go to the gym...good for you!!! It is a positive start to this new, better, and heathlier direction in your life.

Don
 
Greengirl says "cool"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?