Friday, December 07, 2007

Gobble Gobble Gobble What Do I Say? Dining Alone on Thanksgiving Day

I had meant to post this on Thanksgiving Day, or at the very latest, the day after, but as you know life happens and laziness sets in and well, here at last, is my Thanksgiving day blog. I have not changed anything since I wrote it in longhand.

Well this is actually the 1st TD that I spend alone. Interestingly I tried to remember the last time I was alone for Thanksgiving and I couldn't. When my mother was in the Hospital that time for almost a full year some 2 decades ago I still had somewhere to go, as I did the year she could no longer hold onto this world....

Then after my divorce, friends close as family offered me their hospitality and I accepted. This year I rather foolishly thought that the same would happen, but it did not through some unforeseen circumstances. Either extended family gatherings were on the calendar or other things perhaps my company has grown tiresome to some. Aside from one person, no one called me to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving.

I know that communications work two ways, but I was feeling lone;ly and everyone knew I was as alone and could have called. I didn't want to disturb anyone who was basking in the of family warmth. I feared my voice would bring an inevitable chill and an empty offer or guilty offer to come by at the last minute, or a future offer for Christmas.

Nevertheless, on this Turkey Day I had a traditional meal along with many other foods; too many foods. I ventured out; putting on shoes in lieu of sneakers and got dressed up and went to the Hometown Buffet for a traditional Holiday meal.

The place was packed. I would say the place was fairly mixed with families anas well as elderly couples. I scanned most of the place and could not find anyone else who was dining alone.

I will admit I was surprised to see all the families of four or more people dining here but made no judgements about any of it. As I sat there stuffing my face with chicken, turkey and trimmings. I ate to the point just moments before feeling crapulent. I managed to push myself from the table (one of the most effective over indulgence exercises) and went back to my empty apartment. I checked my messages and there were none. I sat down on my couch and watched some TV on DVD; a favorite pastime of mine.

Hours later I felt I would be able to attack the pecan pie I had bought the day before in the hopes I would be able to bring it to a home that I was invited to. Have no fear, it did not go to waste. I did manage to make it last until Saturday evening.

So on this day like many others who have no one, I spent it doing things that I wanted to do and being thankful that I am free to enjoy those things....and perhaps the Hometown Buffet will serve me my repast on an impending Christmas solitude.


Postscript: I was graciously invited somewhere for Christmas and am inclined to accept their warm offer. I will let you know.

Comments:
Greengirl says she will tell her aunt to get a bigger house. She actually had people on the sofa and in the kitchen, and that's with Greengirl's cousin not showing up. Glad that you have Xmas plans.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?